|Cheng-Xian (Charlie) Lin, PhD
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
College of Engineering and Computing
10555 W. Flagler St, EC3445
Florida International University
Miami, FL 33174
Tel: +1 (305) 348-0537
Fax: +1 (305) 348-1932
Dr. Lin is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Material Engineering at FIU. He directs the Computational Fluids and Energy Sciences (CFES) Laboratory and the Sustainable Energy and Thermal Transport Systems (SETTS) Laboratory. His previous positions include Associate Professor and Associate Director in UT CFD Lab at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Summer Faculty Fellow in Air Force Research Laboratory at WPAFB, and Program Manager in the Applied Research Center at Florida International University. He earned his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, and has authored and co-authored over 200 papers in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings. His current research interests include Computational Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Microfluidics and Energy Simulations, with applications in HVAC, Indoor Environment, Buildings and Data Centers, Power Plants, Electronic Cooling, Solar and Geothermal Energy Utilization. His projects have been funded by government agencies, including the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense (AFOSR, ONR), and commercial companies, including Pratt & Whitney and ASHRAE. He serves on the review panels of NSF, DOE, and DoD, and on the editorial boards of eight international journals. He is an active member of the ASME, ASHRAE, AIAA, and ASEE. Among his recent awards and honors is the Outstanding Reviewer Award by ASME in 2011.
Honors & Awards
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 2018 -present.
- Associate Editor, Heat Transfer Research, 2013 – present.
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Engineering, 2009 – present.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal on Heat and Mass Transfer – Theory and Applications, 2013 – present.
- Editorial Board Member, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2008 – present .
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Renewable Energy, 2012 – present.
- Chair, TC 4.10 Research Subcommittee, ASHRAE, 2015 – present.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Heat Transfer Division, ASME, 2011.
- ASEE-Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Paterson Air Force Base, OH, 2007 and 2008.
- Program Development Award, Hemispheric Center for Environmental Technology (HCET), Florida International University, Miami, FL, 2000.
- Employee Service Award, 5 years and 10 years, Florida International University, Miami, FL, 2000 and 2006.
- Certificate of Recognition, Florida Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (FGLSAMP), 1999.
- Listed in Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 1998-present; Who’s Who in America, 2007-present; Who’s Who in the World, 2008-present.
- Award of Excellent Academic Paper for Young Scientists (AEAP), Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1993.
(i) Graduate Courses:
- EML 6725 Computational Fluid Dynamics : Spring 2014
- EML 5412 Combustion Process : Fall 2013
- EML 6154 Conduction Heat Transfer : Spring 2013
(ii) Undergraduate Courses:
- EML 4706 Design of Thermal/Fluid Systems : Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013, Spring 2014
Computational Fluids and Energy Sciences (CFES) Laboratory
Research conducted in the CFES Lab is focused on computational fluid dynamics fundamentals and applications (turbulence, multiphase flows, and combustion), building energy simulation, and indoor environmental modeling.
Sustainable Energy and Thermal Transport Systems (SETTS) Laboratory
Research conducted in the SETTS Lab includes compact heat exchangers, thermal management, microfluidics, HVAC, solar energy technologies (including PV/T), and geothermal energy utilization using ground source heat pump.
The solar powered building, out of the U.S. Solar Decathlon 2005, is currently a live facility for renewable energy technology demonstration, building performance monitoring, as well as a venue for student education and outreach activities.
Five Recent Publications (Out of over 160 papers in journals and conference proceedings)
- K. Moradi, M.A. Ebadian, and C.X. Lin, A Review of PV/T Technologies: Effects of Control Parameters, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 64, pp. 483-500, 2013.
- M. Schafer, R. Detzer, J. Hesselbach, S. Bohm, P. Shinde, and C.X. Lin, CO2 and Thermal Gradient Based Demand-driven Stratified Ventilation-Experimental and Simulation Study, HVAC&R Research, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 676-692, 2013.
- C.X. Lin, D. Wang, and A. Bao, Numerical Modeling and Simulation of Condensation Heat Transfer of a Flue Gas in a Bundle of Transport Membrane Tubes, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 60, pp. 41-50, 2013.
- X. Wang, X. Wang, G. Xing, J. Chen, C.X. Lin, and Y. Chen, Intelligent Sensor Placement for Hot Server Detection in Data Centers, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 1577-1588, 2013.
- C.X. Lin, R.J. Holder, B. Sekar, J. Zelina, M. D. Polanka, H.J. Thornburg, and A.M. Briones, Heat Release in Turbine Cooling II: Numerical Details of Secondary Combustion Surrounding Shaped Holes, J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 27, No.2, pp.269-281, 2011.
- Chair, K-19 Committee on Environmental Heat Transfer, ASME, 2013 – present
- Chair, Membership Subcommittee, TC 4.10 Indoor Environmental Modeling, ASHRAE, 2013 – present
- Committee Member, University Graduate Council, Florida International University, 2013 – present
- Co-Director, Undergraduate Program, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, FIU, 2013 – present.
- Vice Chair, ABET Committee, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, FIU, 2013 – present.