Professor and Chair, AMERI Director
Research Interests: Carbon nanotube reinforced composites and coatings, plasma spray, surface engineering, nanomechanics and nanotribology, bioceramic coatings, nanomechanics of biological cells and spark plasma sintering.
Lab: Plasma Forming Laboratory
Dr. Arvind Agarwal joined the FIU Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering as an Assistant Professor in November 2002. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 1999. After obtaining his PhD degree, Dr. Agarwal worked as the Materials Scientist at Plasma Processes Inc. Huntsville, AL for three years. His current research interests include carbon nanotube reinforced composites and coatings, plasma spray, surface engineering, nanomechanics and nanotribology, bioceramic coatings, nanomechanics of biological cells and spark plasma sintering. His research has been funded in excess of $3.5M from NSF, ONR, AFOSR, ARO, NASA and private industries. Dr. Agarwal has authored more than 175 publications in international journals and conferences, edited 4 books, co-authored 1 book, and reviewed articles for 50 international journals. Dr. Agarwal also serves on the editorial boards of 6 journals. Dr. Agarwal has organized numerous symposiums for Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS) and ASM International in the area of “Surface Engineering” and “Nanomaterials” over the last ten years.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, ASM International 2012.
- FIU President’s Council Outstanding Professor of the Year 2010.
- FIU Faculty Excellence in Mentorship Year 2010.
- NSF CAREER Award 2006-2011.
- FIU President’s Council Outstanding Professor of the Year 2009 (Top 3 Finalist)
- Faculty Advisor of the Year 2009-2010, Student Organization Council, Florida International University, April 2010.
- FIU Faculty Senate Excellence in Research Award, September 2008.
- FIU President’s Council Outstanding Professor of the Year 2008 (Top 3 Finalist)
- FIU Excellence in Faculty Scholarship Award, April 2008
- Executive Dean’s Research Award, College of Engineering and Computing, FIU, April 2007.
- Paper Ranked # 1 (most downloaded) in Materials Science and Engineering: R journal published by Elsevier Science, April-June, 2007.
- Faculty Advisor of the Year 2006-2007, Student Organization Council, Florida International University, 2007.
- Faculty Advisor of the Year 2004-2005, Student Organization Council, Florida International University, 2005.
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS) Young Leader Internship Award 2004.
- ASM/IIM Visiting Lectureship Award 2004.
- Provost’s Research Award, March 2005.
- FIU Foundation Research Award, April 2004.
- FIU Foundation Research Award, April 2003.
- Member of the selection board for awarding the best paper in J. Thermal Spray Technology
- Nominated by Vice President of University of Tennessee for Certificate of Merit for Academic Proficiency for 1998 and 1999.
- Honorary Student member of Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society USA, 1999
- Honorary Student member of Phi-Kappa-Phi, USA, 1998.
- EMA 5200: Nanomechanics and Nanotribology: Spring 2011, Spring 2013
- EMA 5106: Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials: Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2005, Fall 2006, Fall 2007, Fall 2008, Fall 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Fall 2012.
- EMA 5015: Introduction to Nanomaterials Engineering: Spring 2004, Spring 2006 and Spring 2007.
- EMA 5001: Physical Properties of Materials: Fall 2004, Spring 2012.
- EMA 5507C: Analytical Methods in Materials Science: Fall 2007, Fall 2008, Fall 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Spring 2013
- EMA 5295: Principles of Composite Materials: Fall 2003, Spring 2009.
- EML 6935: MME Department Graduate Seminar: 2003-2004.
- EGN 1033: Introduction to Technology, Human and Society: Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011, Spring 2012.
- EMA 4521: Materials Science I: Fall 2003, Summer 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2005 and Spring 2007.
- EGN 3365: Materials Engineering: Summer 2005.
- Special Topics for MME Undergraduate: Fall 2005, Summer 2006, Fall 2006.
Plasma Forming Laboratory (PFL) is an innovative and advanced materials processing facility which was established in 2004. Nanomechanics and Nanotribology Laboratory was established in 2006 to study the mechanical properties at small scale length. The focus of these labs is to bring the benefits of nanotechnology for real engineering applications. Current research includes following:
- Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Metal and Ceramic Composites
- Biocompatible coatings
- Ultrahigh Temperature Ceramic Coatings And Composites
- Surface Engineering for Corrosion, Erosion and Wear Resistant Coatings
- Multiscale mechanical properties and tribology
- Nanomechanics of biological materials
- Near Net Shape Structures By Rapid Prototyping
- Bulk Nanostructured Components
- Advanced Ceramic And Metallic Nanocomposites
- Multilayered Functional Coatings
- Synthesis of Nanostructured Composite Powders
Five Most recent publications:
- D. Lahiri, F. Rouzaud, T. Richard, A. K. Keshri, S. R. Bakshi, L. Kos, and Arvind Agarwal, “Boron Nitride Nanotubes Reinforced Polylactide-Polycaprolactone Copolymer Composite: Mechanical Properties and Cytocompatibility Osteoblasts and Macrophages in vitro”, Acta Biomater, 10.1016/j.actbio.2010.02.044
- S. R. Bakshi, D. Lahiri and Arvind Agarwal, “Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites – A Review”, Inter. Mater. Reviews, vol. 55 (1), pp. 41-64, 2010.
- S. R. Bakshi, D. Lahiri, R. R. Patel and Arvind Agarwal, “Nanoscratch Behavior of Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Aluminum Composite Coatings”, Thin Solid Films, vol. 58, pp. 1703-1711, 2010.
- A. K. Keshri, J. Huang, V. Singh, W. Choi, S. Seal and Arvind Agarwal, “Synthesis of Aluminum Oxide Coating with Carbon Nanotube Reinforcement Produced by Chemical Vapor Deposition for Improved Fracture and Wear Resistance”, Carbon, vol. 48, pp. 431-442, 2010.
- K. Balani, R. G. Batista, D. Lahiri and Arvind Agarwal, “Flexing of Nanohairs: A Nanomechanical and Computational Approach Describing Hydrophobicity of Lotus Leaf”, Nanotechnology, 20 305707, 2009.